Elizabeth Maher is the Director of New Zealand Acceptance & Commitment Therapy Training Ltd. She is a UK qualified Cognitive Behavioural Therapist and a Registered Mental Health Nurse. After completing her Psychology Honours training, she proceeded to complete her Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy training at the Institute of Psychiatry at the Maudsley Hospital in London and spent several years working for the South London and Maudsley NHS Trust CBT Service.
Elizabeth has completed Mindfulness, and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy training and has used these approaches in therapy over the last fifteen years. She has worked in a variety of settings in the UK and in New Zealand at both the primary and secondary level services, including; forensics, addiction services, acute mental health, community mental health, primary mental health, and maternal mental health services.
Teaching and Training
Elizabeth has worked as an Associate Lecturer for The Open University in the UK teaching on both their Nursing and Psychology programmes. She has also held training workshops in the UK on CBT, Mindfulness Based CBT and ACT, and Motivational Interviewing at the University of Kent. Elizabeth currently works in private practice and facilitates ACT training workshops across New Zealand and at conferences.
Professional Membership and Registration
- Aotearoa New ZealandAssociation of Cognitive Behavioural
- Professional member of the Association of Contextual Behavioural Science
- UK Nursing and Midwifery Council - NMC
- New Zealand Nursing Council
- DAPAANZ Drug and Alcohol Registered Practioner and Clinical Supervisor
- Approved Clinical Supervisor Psychotherapists Board of Aotearoa New Zealand
- Executive Board member of AnzaCBT 2011 & 2012
- Executive Board Member of ANZACBS 2015 & 2016
- Executive Board Member of ANZACBS (current)